You can make an ice lantern or ice luminary & set it out on the front porch or your front step or driveway.
Adds some sparkle to the bleak cold winter!
- Start off by filling the bottom of a plastic container with water a couple inches high – this will be the bottom of the luminary
- Set it outside & let it freeze solid
- Add an inner bucket (which when complete will be the place you hold your candle in) – here I’ve used a pitcher (which I wouldn’t use again because it was hard to get the handle out of the frozen ice block!)
- Add water in between the two containers to form the walls of the luminary
- Fill the inner bucket with rocks or other heavy objects to hold it down in the center of the outer bucket (I had to use a log because all of my rocks are covered by 3 feet of snow! I’ll reserve special luminary rocks for next year & have them ready before winter sets in)
- Freeze solid
- Take out your rocks/logs, etc. & fill the inner container with hot water to remove the inner bucket
- Dunk your whole container in hot water to loosen the luminary from the outer bucket
You can make them all sizes & line them up or even add greenery, etc when you add the water to make the side walls
a little candlelight on the windowsill -
Chat soon -
linking up to
Funky Junk SNS
Shabby Chic Cottage Transformation Thursday